Posted on 12-17-2012
a combination of software and services that easily and cost-effectively helps customers see more so they can do more to achieve optimized building performance and energy efficiency
To understand what Panoptix enables...imagine if all of our buildings:
- Thought for themselves
- Teach us to reduce energy consumption
- Diagnose problems in real-time
- Self correct when necessary
- Call a service provider when they need repair or tuning
Panoptix starts with a cloud-hosted platform that enables buildings to collect and manage data, along with tools for automating operations at the building and space levels providing metering for electricity, water, gas oil steam, carbon and weather--with very granular level reporting up to overall trends of energy use.
To grow Panoptix, Johnson Controls introduced a marketplace of apps combined with supporting news, information, resources and entire community dedicated to building performance and efficiency management.
This marketplace and community is driven by an API developer area, allowing anyone to sign up and get to work developing apps and start selling them in the Panoptix marketplace. The Panoptix API is free to use for anyone looking to developer one app, allowing you to collect 70% of revenue from app sales in the marketplace (an essential ingredient for developer success).
I like Johnson Controls approach to building a community around building management applications, data and resources--complete with a API driven developer area. It’s great to see a 125 year old company open up their hardware and software with such an innovative approach.
I’ll be digging further into how Johnsons Controls deployed the Panoptix API, with further entries to this blog series, and a full case study on their approach to delivering their API driven building management platform.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Standard Energy Efficiency Data APIs For Buildings
- JCI & Panoptix APIs: Write APIs Are Much Harder Than Read APIs
- JCI & Panoptix Internal Evangelism: Selling Not Just The API, But The Overall Approach Internally
- Building Energy Efficiency at Six Times the Speed : Greentech Media
- 53 Energy APIs: Genability, 3TIER and EnergyStar
- Panoptix APIs: helping to create better building efficiency applications
- How Nest and Opower quietly morphed into competitors
- Smart thermostat maker Nest acquires utility tracker MyEnergy to cozy up to energy providers
- Keen Home Launches Crowdfunding Campaign For Its Connected Central Heating And Cooling Vents
- AT&T Releases Connected Home Security System