My name is Kin Lane and I am a technology professional with an obsession for Application Programming Interfaces, also affectionately known as APIs.
I've been working in the technology space for over 20 years. I remember building my own relational databases, and generating stacks of floppy disks to distribute software to clients. After spending much of my career online, I strongly believe in the openness and distributed nature of the Internet, and that the World Wide Web will be the vehicle that drives the world into the future.
I have lived as a programmer, database administrator, architect, product developer, manager and executive and have experience in business development, sales and marketing--all while living with chronic entrepreneurialism. In this decade I've rolled all that experience into a new persona, one that focuses exclusively on APIs--called the API Evangelist.
I spend my days studying the business and politics of APIs, then telling stories of what I see across the space. I thrive on monitoring the API industry in real-time, but also feel looking back at the history, while also keeping an eye on the future by tracking on new trends that I see emerging.
I'm a full time evangelist, not for a single API, but for APIs in general. My focus is not just on developers, but helping the rest of the world understand the value and potential of APIs. It is important that EVERYONE understands that APIs exist, even if they don't ever grasp the full details of the API economy.
I spend my days researching the world of APIs, publishing what I can to an array of 50+ Github repositories, each with their own website doorway using Github pages. Since the API Evangelist network is an ongoing research project, things are always changing, come back often, and subscribe to feeds. I have created the following clickable metro maps to help you, and me find the various stops on my realtime research of the API economy.
In addition to these core areas of the API economy, I'm researching other areas I simply call opportunities and priorities:
All of these projects are ongoing research and will be updated when I have time. I'm a one man show, so sometimes, depending on my travel and speaking schedule I get behind with udpates. If there is any new area you think I should be researching, or additions to a specific project, let me know.
You can follow my work on my primary blogs:.
Where I Blog:
Or via my social networks:
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Standard Energy Efficiency Data APIs For Buildings
- JCI & Panoptix APIs: Write APIs Are Much Harder Than Read APIs
- JCI & Panoptix Internal Evangelism: Selling Not Just The API, But The Overall Approach Internally
- Building Energy Efficiency at Six Times the Speed : Greentech Media
- 53 Energy APIs: Genability, 3TIER and EnergyStar
- Panoptix APIs: helping to create better building efficiency applications
- How Nest and Opower quietly morphed into competitors
- Smart thermostat maker Nest acquires utility tracker MyEnergy to cozy up to energy providers
- Keen Home Launches Crowdfunding Campaign For Its Connected Central Heating And Cooling Vents
- AT&T Releases Connected Home Security System